Another staff tested and approved recipe that was a big healthy hit! You can find most of the ingredients at your local farmers market!
Vegetable Medley Pita Sandwich
4 Whole Wheat Pitas, halved
1 Cup hummus
8 Slices deli meat, such as turkey
8 Green leaf lettuce leaves
1 Bell pepper, sliced
2 Carrots, grated*
1 Small zucchini, grated*
1 Beet, grated*
- Halve pitas.
- Spread 2 tbsp. hummus in each pita half.
- Place one slice of deli meat and one lettuce leaf in each pita half.
- Fill pita with desired quantities of remaining vegetables.
*Use a box grate to shred vegetables.
Zucchini, Corn, and Tomato Sauté
2 Zucchini, sliced thin. If using larger zucchini, cut in half before slicing
3 Ears corn, kernels cut off (Or 1 ½ cups frozen corn)
1 Tomato, diced*
2 Cloves garlic, minced
1 Tablespoon fresh oregano or ½ tbsp. dried
1 Tablespoon fresh thyme or ½ tbsp. dried
2 Tsp. olive oil
1/2 Tsp. Salt
*Tomatoes may also be added fresh after zucchini and corn have been prepared.
- Pour olive oil into large saute pan over medium heat.
- When oil is warm, and zucchini and ½ tsp salt.
- When zucchini begins to be tender, add garlic, corn, tomatoes, herbs, and remaining ½ tsp of salt.
- Remove from heat when all vegetables are heated through.
Serve with your favorite seasonal fruit. Sliced peaches, cubed watermelon, and grapes are all delicious options!