If you and your family enjoy a meatless Monday (or any day!) here is all you need for a tasty dinner without the meat. This dinner has been staff tested and kid approved!
Makes 4-6 Fajitas
4-6 Whole Wheat Tortillas
1 cup Shredded Pepper Jack Cheese, or cheese of choice
1 can low-sodium Black Beans, drained and rinsed
1 Yellow or Purple Onion, sliced
1-2 Bell Pepper, sliced
2 tsp Vegetable Oil
¼ tsp Salt
¼ tsp Pepper
Optional Add-Ins: Diced tomato, corn, or other vegetable of choice*
- In a large pan, heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and sauté for 5 minutes. Add bell peppers, season with salt and pepper, and sauté until crisp-tender.
- Heat tortillas according to package instructions.
- Heat black beans in microwave or on stove top.
- Fill tortillas with equal amounts of beans, vegetables, and cheese and any additional toppings desired.
*Depending on how much filling you like in your fajita, you may have left over vegetables.
Jicama Chili Sticks
Serves 4-6 people.
1 medium Jicama
½ – 1 Lime, juiced
½ – 1 tsp Tajin Chili Powder, or ½ tsp Chili Powder
- Peel jicama and cut into ¼ inch sticks.
- Toss jicama with lime juice to taste.
- Sprinkle on Tajin or chili powder. Enjoy!
Cilantro Lime Rice
Serves 4 people.
1 cup white or brown rice
¼ tsp salt
½-1 lime, juiced and zested
1/3 cup loosely-packed cilantro, minced
1/4 cup Scallion, sliced thin
½ Jalapeno, minced (optional)
2 Tbsp oil
- Place 2 cups of water, rice of choice, and salt in large pot. Put on stove top and bring to a boil.
- After water is boiling, cover pot and reduce heat to low. Let rice simmer to 20-40 minutes until water is fully absorbed. White rice will take closer to 20 minutes and brown rice closer to 40.
- While the rice is boiling, zest and juice the lime. Add cilantro, scallions, oil, and jalapeno, if using.
- When rice is done, remove from heat and toss with cilantro-lime mixture.